Saturday, June 27, 2009

"If it was up to me, I would . . ."


My blog post, "Less is NOT More . . . It is SIMPLE," drew some comments on LinkedIn's Radio Ink group. Michael Walters at Radio Ink asked me to respond to, "If it was up to me, I would..."

That may have been a very polite way of asking, "OK, if you're so smart, how would you really put your ideas to work in the trenches of broadcasting?" Fair question. Here is how I answered:


If it was up to me, I would WIN THE LOTTO!

But more to the point . . .

  • Hire and train more salespeople.
  • Hire salespeople to just sell the "digital products" (websites, streams, email, search, etc.) .
  • Spend more money on researching what our consumers really want to hear (and see!).
  • Be "live & local" 24/7.
  • Pay for real talent.
  • Promote, promote, and promote some more.
  • Use every social marketing technique out there (and a few not yet out there).
  • Pay my people well and offer benefits comparable to Google's (including tuition reimbursement).
  • Reward risk-taking.
  • Throw away the Policies and Procedures manual.
  • Have fun at the office (and encourage use of Facebook, Twitter, etc. on company time).
  • Have non-station branded web products.
  • Have the best local news, public affairs, and community involvement in town.
  • Have a radio chip in the iPhone (we can dream, can't we?); Actually, I think that there is a strong homeland security argument for it. How did your cell phone work in the last hurricane? How did the Internet work when MJ died? What if some kook had detonated a nuclear bomb? We need radio on mobile devices.
  • Get the kids involved in the business again.

Utopian? Yes (but you did ask). We need to start thinking and doing. Soon.

George