- Hire and train more salespeople.
- Hire salespeople to just sell the "digital products" (websites, streams, email, search, etc.) .
- Spend more money on researching what our consumers really want to hear (and see!).
- Be "live & local" 24/7.
- Pay for real talent.
- Promote, promote, and promote some more.
- Use every social marketing technique out there (and a few not yet out there).
- Pay my people well and offer benefits comparable to Google's (including tuition reimbursement).
- Reward risk-taking.
- Throw away the Policies and Procedures manual.
- Have fun at the office (and encourage use of Facebook, Twitter, etc. on company time).
- Have non-station branded web products.
- Have the best local news, public affairs, and community involvement in town.
- Have a radio chip in the iPhone (we can dream, can't we?); Actually, I think that there is a strong homeland security argument for it. How did your cell phone work in the last hurricane? How did the Internet work when MJ died? What if some kook had detonated a nuclear bomb? We need radio on mobile devices.
- Get the kids involved in the business again.
Utopian? Yes (but you did ask). We need to start thinking and doing. Soon.